We’re trying something a little different here at Cumming Corporation. We’re attempting to do the unthinkable… be more transparent in the hiring process! What a novel idea, don’t you think? Yes, it’s a past due endeavor that many organizations overlook, but we know it will be a worthwhile effort. We have 4 simple goals:
(1) Provide greater transparency to current and future applicants.
(2) Increase communication with current applicants.
(3) Be more efficient in our recruiting operations.
(4) Treat all applicants with respect.
The purpose of this blog post is to educate our current/potential candidate audience on our recruiting process and inform you about what to expect when you apply for a job with Cumming Corporation. Without further ado, these are the various steps you may find yourself in during the hiring process at our firm (Yes, these are the exact “statuses” within our Applicant Tracking System):
- Unscreened Candidates
- Career Center Submission: This is where all resumes go when you first apply to a job.
- Recruiter Submission: Recruiters can submit previous or passive candidates to new openings.
- Referral Submission: Congrats! Someone likes you and referred you for a position!
- Candidate Withdrew: You withdrew your name from consideration. Please reconsider?
- Screened Candidates
- Rejected: We’ll send you a note within 5 days of your application to notify you if we’re moving forward.
- In Review: Our Recruiters use this status as a “maybe” category. It typically means we’re simply unsure. We might be waiting for a Hiring Manager to give us feedback on your resume. Either way, you’ll receive an email notifying you that a Recruiter has viewed your resume and you will be notified again within 5 business days as to whether or not we will be moving forward with you as a candidate.
- Follow-Up: You will receive an email from a Recruiter asking for your availability to chat about the opportunity!
- Recruiter Left Message: You didn’t pick up the phone when we called?! We’ll shoot you a message to notify you that we called.
- Recruiter Interview Completed: Thanks for talking to your friendly neighborhood Recruiter!
- Out of State: Not all positions are approved for relocation. If they’re not, we use this category and automated email to basically tell you, “We think you’re great, but we can only move forward with local candidates currently. If you have imminent relo plans, now is the time to tell us!” Isn’t that better than automatically rejecting someone’s resume because they have the wrong zip code? We think so.
- Rejected AfterRecruiter Phone Screen: After speaking with a Recruiter, you will be notified if we are moving forward within 5 days.
- Candidates Sent to Hiring Manager
- Submitted: Finally! We just sent your information to one of our Hiring Managers for consideration.
- 1st Interview: Now it’s getting good. Will you like us? We hope so. (There are additional statuses for additional interviews not listed here)
- Candidate Withdrew: I guess you didn’t like us?
- Not Selected: We’ll notify you as soon as possible following your interview. Typically within 1 week.
- Offer Process
- Background/Reference Check: We’ll have you fill out a form allowing us to check your background.
- Additional Offer Statuses: Offer Extended, Offer Rescinded, Offer Declined, Offer Accepted
- Hired Candidates: Our HR team busily works toward your onboarding and first week orientation.
- Incomplete: If you don’t complete the application process, this is where you’ll end up. Yes, we will send emails to remind you that you’re here!
Within the “Applicant Flow” noted above, we have built-in automated communication so that you’re aware every time a Recruiter moves you from one status to the next. Not only will this allow you to see where you are at within each step, but we hope it will allow us to engage you throughout the process as well. Finally, you will notice time frames in which a Recruiter must respond to your resume. From the time you apply, the Recruiter assigned to that position has 5 days to notify you of next steps. This same rule applies when placing candidates in the “follow-up” and “submitted” applicant flows.
So there you have it! Transparency, communication, and efficiency with respect for you and your time mixed throughout.
If you feel that we’re missing something or if further clarification is needed, please comment below and we’ll respond as soon as possible. Additionally, you can visit our careers home page and click the chat link in the lower right hand corner to speak with a Recruiter!